Tips To Prevent Electrical Fires In Your Home

Did you know that electrical fires account for roughly 51,000 residential fires each year? According to the Electrical Safety Foundation International (ESFI), residential fires result in nearly 500 deaths, more than 1,400 injuries, and $1.3 billion in property damage each year. The professional electricians in Delaware at Joseph Frederick & Sons want to help reduce these statistics by sharing a few helpful tips, in hopes of preventing electrical fires from starting in your home. Almost half of all home structure electrical fires involve some type of electrical distribution equipment, such as wiring, outlets, switches, lamps, light bulbs, cords, or plugs. These electrical fires are not only dangerous, but they are also preventable.

The following tips can assist in identifying potential fire hazards and help prevent an electrical fire in your home:

Inspect all electrical wiring when initially purchasing your home. Having your wiring checked when you first purchase your house will let you know what you are buying, as well as the condition it is in. Wiring does not last forever, so it is always recommended to have your wiring checked if your home is more than 10 years old.

If the wiring is old, go ahead and replace it. If a power cord or your home’s wiring is frayed, worn out, or tattered, consider either repairing the wiring or completely replacing it to prevent an electrical fire. Trust the licensed electricians in Delaware from Joseph Frederick & Sons to competently handle everything from simple to extensive electrical projects in your home.

Frequently check the plugs on your electrical appliances. Like wiring, plugs can fray and rip. Broken plugs are not only a shock hazard, but they can also spark or overheat, causing an electrical fire.

Do not overload your electrical outlets. A home’s electrical circuits can only provide so much electricity to each outlet at one time. When overloading an outlet, you can cause the outlet to spark and potentially start an electrical fire.

Keep flammable materials away from outlets and appliances. Electrical appliances or outlets that come into contact with flammable materials, such as a blanket, a rug, or cleaning supplies, may trigger a fire.

Use surge protectors wherever you can. Surge protectors help protect appliances and anything else plugged into an outlet from dangers posed by a power surge. A power surge can increase the amount of electricity flowing to your outlet and overload the outlet, causing the appliance to spark. A surge protector will help prevent this potential fire hazard.

Be cautious of appliances when in use. If an appliance blows a fuse, trips a circuit, or sparks while being used, unplug the appliance immediately and check to see if it needs to be repaired or replaced.

Joseph Frederick & Sons Delaware Electricians

At Joseph Frederick & Sons, we aim to keep you and your family safe. If you are unsure about the state of the electrical wiring, outlets, or appliances in your home, contact Joseph Frederick & Sons for the best electricians in Delaware. Your safety and satisfaction is of the utmost importance, and through personalized and courteous service, we guarantee a rewarding, affordable experience.