If it is time for a new heating installation for your home, a boiler might be right for you! A boiler can manage the heating and hot water requirements in commercial facilities, apartments, and private homes, offering single or multiple heating zones. If you need to brush up on your knowledge of boilers, here are 5 things you should know:
1. Do boilers actually boil water?
This is a myth! Boilers in operation today do not boil water. Today’s boilers are water heaters that typically use natural gas. Most can heat water in a range from 145-190 degrees, depending on the radiation system.
2. How do boilers provide heat?
Boilers provide radiant heat, which warms objects in a room. On the other hand, a forced air furnace warms the air in a room, meaning objects absorb the heat more slowly. Some prefer boilers because the thermostat can be set to a lower temperature, with the radiant heat making the room feel warmer than the actual air temperature. Others say that boilers provide more balanced heat during the winter months.
3. Most important things to know about your boiler heating system:
- Is your boiler a standard efficiency or high-efficiency model? Standard efficiency is vented in metal pipe. A high efficiency model should be vented in PVC pipe, either off the top or to the side of the boiler.
- What kind of radiation do you have? Fintube or baseboard, or cast iron radiators?
- Who will assume responsibility for maintaining the boiler? Would you prefer to have a company do the maintenance for you?
4. What are the common reasons boilers stop working?
Pumps fail and electrical components may stop working (controls, thermostat, etc). Unnecessary air may get into the system or low water pressure may occur, both of which can cause the system to stop moving the water, so the boiler cannot radiate heat correctly or at all. Water can also freeze in extremely cold conditions.
5. Do boilers waste water or energy?
Because boilers are a sealed system, they do not waste water. They are just as efficient as any gas forced-air furnace.
The team here at Jos. Frederick & Sons hopes that these tips will make your decision easier when choosing to purchase a boiler! We offer a wide range of choices and offer prompt installation, upgrades, maintenance and repair.